Steve Howes is running for a second term in Ward 2. He is already out getting your input. He has all the information on his website and I’ll put some more here.
Bio and Work Experience
When I was 12, my first summer job was with the Town of Paris as Lifeguard in Training at the Paris Pool, helping kids learn to swim and helping to clean and maintain the facility.
As a teenager, I spent 6 years working in the local grocery store, and during the later part of high school and college, I worked as a photographer for the local newspaper. The one thing these formative jobs had in common is that they all gave me the opportunity to get to know the people in our community. After going to college for Business, I moved into an apartment in Downtown Paris and went to work in Marketing and International Sales for Paris Playground Equipment Inc. My current position provides me with opportunities to work with municipalities all over Ontario. Over the years, I have also been able to work with businesses all around the world who distributed our products to their local municipalities.
Local politics has long been an ambition of mine, so in 2018 I ran in the municipal election to represent Ward 2 for the County of Brant and was successful.
I have learned a lot in the last 3.5 years in my role as Councillor and hope to continue with re-election this October. As I learned about the inner workings of our municipality, I have shared that information in many detailed posts on my Councillor Facebook page (many have been posted on this website too!). I would appreciate it if you take the time to read them.
Responsibilies and Activities as Councillor
Council meets 4 times a month:
- Planning & Development Committee
- Policy Development & Strategic Direction Committee
- Administration & Operations Committee
- Council meetings
Additionally, I was appointed to the following Advisory Committees and Groups:
- Tourism Advisory Committee
- Heritage Advisory Committee (currently Chair)
- Economic Development Advisory Committee (committee has now changed to Workshop format)
- Paris Community Improvement Program
- Social Services Committee (Brant and Brantford)
- Library Board
- Mayors’ Task Force on Affordable Housing (Brant and Brantford)
- Paris Museum and Historical Society (Council Liaison)
Learn about Steve’s Priorities:
- Controlling Residential Growth
- Creation of Modest Housing Options
- Strategic Economic Development
- Protection and Celebration of our Heritage Features
- Expansion of Arts and Culture
Other Interests and Activities
Outside of politics, I enjoy time with my family. I like to travel, and enjoy sketching and painting, photography and hiking. Below is a selection of my sketches.